Sunday, August 14, 2005

ESPN out of ideas

It's official - ESPN has finally run out of ideas.

First, they gave us the x-games, which is at least somewhat athletic, but skateboarding tricks are best left to the kids. Then we got the spelling bee and poker, neither of which remotely resemble sports. Someone should let the Chicago Tribune know that poker isn't a sport also, but I digress.

Now, they give us a nightly show devoted to athlete gossip called ESPN Hollywood. If an entire network can jump the shark, then this one has.

Considering I'm no longer part of ESPN's desired demographic, I'll probably be completely wrong and this show will be bigger than SportsCenter, but I'm hoping for a quick and merciless death. And, of course, I haven't even seen it yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its just a symptom of ESPN having to kill a lot of airtime before the start of FB season. ESPN does this EVERY year and when College FB rolls around, these shows get bounced.

Kartik said...

athletes and individuals are viewed. Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are considered bigger stars than Marvin Harrison, Mushin Muhammed and Hines Ward thanks to ESPN's over emphasis on the behavior and arrogance of certain chosen athletes.

I am sick and tired of watching a College Football or Basketball game and having the telecast cut short right after the game ends so that ESPN can show Tilt or some other mindless ESPN original program.

I was watching the British Open Golf a few weeks ago and for the first time in the many years I've been watching sports, I said to myself that I wish TNT who broadcast the first two rounds had the entire tournament instead of ABC, because ABC's coverage is little more than ESPN on another Disney owned channel. To think in historical terms that I'd rather TNT cover an event than ABC Sports, which in its day was the greatest ever!

ABC now covers the X games acting as if it is a substitute for the loss of the Olympics, and shamelessly promotes them during the 4th quarters of big College Football and NFL games, placing an ad in the corner of the screen where the most action is likely to take place. To think that the network of Jim McKay is now the network of the X games and the Winer X games.

Kartik said...

(The first line of my post got cut off)

AMEN Jerry, AMEN. I'm tired of the Disney networks ruining sports and the way athletes and individuals are viewed. Terrell Owens and Randy Moss are considered bigger stars than Marvin Harrison, Mushin Muhammed and Hines Ward thanks to ESPN's over emphasis on the behavior and arrogance of certain chosen athletes.

(Continued on above posting)

Anonymous said...

I thought much the same thing. However, as I'm not part of their desired demographic either, I refuse to watch the And One mix of street basketball.