Sunday, June 19, 2005

Happy Father's Day!

We have been working hard the last couple of weeks trying to get our older boys (ages 8 and 6) to become swimmers. Actually, it's my wife who has been doing most of the work. She's a bit of a fish, but I'm pretty much a land-lubber.

The eight-year-old does pretty well in his swim lessons, but has trouble behaving in the class. The six-year-old is capable of doing just as well (he has done so in the past), but has suddenly become afraid to try. During swim lessons, he was just clinging to the teacher and wouldn't do anything without her holding him securely.

After about a week of that, my wife had enough. She told them we would take them to see Star Wars III if #1 son would behave and if #2 son would face his fears. We also got a season pass for the Munster pool and my wife took the boys swimming every day so she could work with #2 on getting over his fears.

That worked very well, although swimming consumed our schedule this week. Monday-Thursday was pretty much the same: wake up, eat breakfast, swim, come home, eat linner, swim lessons, eat snack, bed. That's why I haven't written all week.

Friday, we went to see Revenge of the Sith. It was a great movie, but I'm a big Star Wars fan, so my standard may not be as high as others might be. In particular, it was great to see very little and hear none of Jar Jar Binks.

My only complaint is that I wish Hayden Christensen could act. Anakin Skywalker is a tortured soul and Christensen doesn't show us that. Anakin turns evil and Christensen doesn't really show us that either. The only facial expression he gets right in the whole movie is the one we see on the posters, when he looks back over his shoulder and his eyes are yellow with rage.

Jack Nicholson would have been a great in the role of Anakin, but he's 40-50 years too old. I'm not sure who is out there now that would be as good a fit, but certainly Christensen is not.

Still, he doesn't ruin it for me. He's just a distraction. It's still a great story and the other actors carry him.

At the theater this weekend, they were giving fathers who go to see this movie a little poster with Darth Vader on it and the caption "Who's Your Daddy?" I'll find a suitable spot to hang that.

Now, I have to find time to see Batman Begins.

Hope all you fathers have a great day!

No comments: