Friday, June 10, 2005

Cubs vs Red Sox

People are moistening their drawers with excitement around here at the first meeting of the Cubs and Red Sox since the 1918 World Series, which was the last time the Red Sox won the Series before last season. All everyone writes about is how cursed these teams are, but that angle is lost on me. I guess I just don't believe in curses. I think it's exciting to have the defending champs in town, but the whole idea that these are the two most cursed franchises in sports is hooey.

I'll be curious to see how the Red Sox like playing at Wrigley, which is the only baseball cathedral left besides Fenway. Todd Walker of the Cubs, formerly of the Red Sox, gives a slight edge to Wrigley. I would expect Red Sox pitcher Matt Clement, formerly of the Cubs, to go with Fenway. Unfortunately, the rotation won't allow Clement to face his old mates.

The real reason this is a big series has more to do with the present than with the history of these teams. Boston is 3 games behind Baltimore in the East and 3.5 games behind Minnesota in the wild card chase. The Cubs are so far back in the division that the only thing to talk about with them is the wild card, which they trail the Phillies by half a game. It's too early to count either of these teams out of anything (even though I wrote the Cubs' obituary earlier this year).

No comments: