Saturday, April 16, 2005

Brain Dump

Here are a few unrelated things that have been rattling around in my head.

  • Sorry I didn’t post yesterday. It was just one of those days.

  • Since yesterday was tax day, I want to share one of my all-time favorite political cartoons by the late, great Jeff MacNelly.

  • In Chicago, Bulls’ forward Eddy Curry’s heart problems are front page news, but in Valparaiso, Kenny Harris is clinging to life after collapsing during a workout earlier this week. Harris is the starting center for VU. He’s 6’10”, about 340 lbs and has had health problems in the past. His exact problems are unknown per the family’s request, but Harris is in critical condition in a Porter county hospital and his status hasn’t changed in the three days he has been there.

  • I see that Mike Tyson is taking up boxing again. Does anybody care?

  • The WNBA draft is today. Same question.

    I’d actually like to care about the WNBA, but I just can’t. I guess it’s the same thing with the men. I’m a huge college basketball fan, but I don’t care much about the NBA. I keep an eye on the Purdue players, but that’s about it.

  • Atlanta Falcon RB/QB Michael Vick was sued last month by a woman who says he gave her an sexually transmitted disease. In the suit, one of the aliases supposedly used by Vick is Ron Mexico. So, naturally, fans have been trying to buy Vick’s Atlanta Falcon jerseys with the name Mexico on them. The NFL is not allowing that at its website, but I have to believe we’ll be seeing some of those around this fall.

    I feel bad for anyone who is really named Ron Mexico. Those guys may get their 15 minutes of fame, but not in a way they would hope for.

  • Yankees LF Gary Sheffield got hit in the mouth trying to get to a ball hit down the left field line in Boston last week. Major League Baseball is reviewing video (which I haven’t seen yet), but Sheffield supposedly shoved the fan who hit him, and then continued on with the play.

    I guess Sheffield should be congratulated for showing some restraint. This was a potential Pistons-Pacers situation, but he didn’t escalate it.
  • 1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    I read in an article in the paper the other day that mentioned a real Ron Mexico in Brighton, MI. He only knew of two other Ron Mexicos, both related.