Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Sox radio

I haven't listened to the White Sox on radio for at least five years. I no longer remember why I didn't like their radio broadcast, but I do remember that I particularly didn't like Ed Farmer. His partner, John Rooney, will be leaving the Sox radio booth after this season.

Last night, I decided to give them another chance, so I caught the 4th inning on the radio. I now remember why I didn't like them. Not only do they have no chemistry together, but they broadcast the game like they're doing golf.

No, that's not fair to golf announcers. Golf announcers show emotion, even if they do it at a whisper. These guys sound like they're reading the tax code. Cleveland led off the top off of the inning with a home run and they mentioned it in passing, as if their conversation about the deductibility of the cost of Sox playoff tickets was more important. It's like listening to Spock call a game.

When the Sox scored in the bottom of the inning on a two out hit, you almost couldn't hear the announcer over the cheers of the relatively sparse crowd. I was beginning to wonder if they had technical difficulties, but if they did, I'd be grateful.

One of the names kicked around to replace Rooney in the booth is Mike North. For those of you not from around here, North is one of those sports radio guys with more mouth than brains. A lot more. That would definitely change the volume, but with an equal and opposite effect on IQ. I wouldn't listen to that either.

I don't like the Sox TV guys much either, but they're a far cry better than the radio guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you don't like the Hawk - "he gone", "YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOAARRRRRDDDDD.....YYYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!" When an opposing player hits a deep fly, you don't hear anything from Hawk, as if he refuses to acknowledge the HR. Obviously, Hawk Harrelson is a huge homer, but his style is unique. But a lot of people outside Chicago find his style very grating and abrasive.

I remember he and the late Don Drysdale as TV partners in the 80's. Then for a long time, Tom "Wimpy" Paciorek, and now Darrell Jackson (former Cubs and Padres OF) "DJ".

Jerry P. Palm said...

I liked Hawk better with Drysdale and Paciorek, but I don't think it has anything to do with who is partner is. I think, like a lot of guys who have a schtik, they beomce too much schtik, not enough substance. Dick Vitale and Chris Berman are among others like that.