Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Win or stay home

The White Sox spent the last week of the regular season trying their hardest to blow the Central Division, but they failed because Minnesota couldn't do much with the lowly Kansas City Royals.

So, the Sox had to make up a game with the Detroit Tigers yesterday that had been rained out in August. Then, they had to sit through a three-hour rain delay to get it started. They did win though, thanks to a grand slam from Alexei Ramirez.

I was listening to Detroit implode in the sixth inning on the radio on my way home, and as they were pitching to Junior, one of the radio guys (I forget if it was Ed Farmer or Steve Stone) says, "if they walk him, that will bring up our Ramirez, who is our slam guy." They did walk him as I was pulling in my driveway, and by the time I got in the house, it was 6-2 Sox.

Ramirez, a rookie, now has four grand slams on the season.

That had to be one of the worst-pitched innings in the history of baseball. Four guys walked. The first one walked, stole second and scored on two wild pitches before the second batter was finished walking. Then a third guy walked. There was another wild pitch, an intentional walk, and then the grand slam. Actually, I think Thome struck out in there somewhere as well. Four walks and three wild pitches leading up to the slam.

Now, the Twins come to town for a division tiebreaker tonight. The Sox are pitching John Danks on three days rest, but you can't blame them. Gavin Floyd pitched yesterday, Mark Bueherle on Sunday, so there really isn't anybody left. Javier Vasquez probably wouldn't get out of the first inning.

Minnesota counters with Nick Blackburn. The Sox have lit him up this year, although Blackburn did better the last time he faced the Sox, holding them to two runs in five innings and getting the win last week.

The prize for the winner? A trip to Tampa to face the Rays on Thursday.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim Thome's bomb to deep center was THE difference as the Sox win 1-0 and clinch the AL Central.

According to Baseball Reference, it's the first time since the 1906 WS that both Chicago teams have made the postseason. In fairness, there wasn't even an LCS until 1969 and there wasn't the three division, wildcard format until 1995.

Jerry P. Palm said...

That was quite the bomb, and it wasn't a good night to hit a long ball.

Congrats Sox! As someone who is more of a Cub fan than a Sox fan (though I do like both), I don't want a Cubs-Sox series. My stomach couldn't take it.

Unknown said...

It's also the first time ever that a team has clinched a postseason berth by playing three different teams in three days.

It looks as if the Sox trust only three guys to start. I don't see a clear cut #4 starter as Javier Vazquez has been awful of late. But who else is there? Clayton Richard? I don't think so. Should the Sox advance to the LCS, I do see Vazquez starting Game #4. But first things first.

My guess for the rotation for the Tampa series: Buehrle-Danks-Floyd-Buehrle*-Danks*. Tampa Bay's OPS vs. lefties is only .726, as opposed to .778 vs. righties, thus it would make sense to start the lefties as much as possible.

Jerry P. Palm said...

I know I don't trust Javier Vasquez. I think I'd go with your rotation, but we'll see what Ozzie does. I'll be stunned if Vasquez gets a start.

Unknown said...

Hang on. If Danks started Game #2 Friday, it would be on only two days' rest. He pitched eight innings and threw 103 pitches tonight.

My revised guess for the Sox rotation: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Buehrle*, Floyd*. I'm with you - I'd be shocked if Vazquez gets a start.

Unknown said...

Vazquez is starting today's Game #1 so I guess we're both shocked. I know I am!

Mark Buehrle's last two starts were on three days' rest so perhaps, Ozzie Guillen figured that was enough. It's Buehrle in Game #2 on Friday, followed by John Danks(Sunday) then Gavin Floyd (Monday*). Should the series go to a Game #5, Buehrle should get the call and he'll have his full four days' rest.