Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Is this finally the year?

Now that the schedule is out and the Cubs are still on it, I feel like I can celebrate. The Cubs are in the playoffs!

Actually, when they clinched, it was more relief than excitement. How could a team with this much talent NOT win the worst division in baseball, but leave it to the Cubs to give it a great try.

Could be worse. Could be the Mets.

(pause for uproarious laughter)

Anyways, we (meaning the Cubs) have been here before. The Cubs won the division in 1984, 89 and 2003, as well as winning the wild card in 1998. All they have to show for it is one series win (the 2003 NLDS).

In 84 and 03, all the Cubs had to do was win once with three to play and blew it. Each time, something stupid happened. In 84, commissioner Peter Ueberroth took home field advantage away from the Cubs and gave it to the Padres because the Cubs couldn't play home games at night. He made some excuse about television requirements. The Cubs won the first two at home, but lost all three in SD to lose the series.

In 2003, there was the Moises Alou meltdown because he felt a fan interfered with his attempt to catch a foul ball in the stands.

I digress to report that as I write this, I'm listening to David Aldridge on TBS report about the whining that goes on in Philadelphia because the town hasn't won a major sports championship in 24 years. He's talking about all the pressure the players feel to fix that. Let me speak for Cub fans everywhere when I say, "BOO &$^@@*' HOO!"

Back to 2007. The time has come for the Cubs to make some noise. After all, the White Sox and Red Sox have ended their long championship droughts recently. Now, it's the Cubs' turn.

The Cubs have as good a chance as anybody in the NL playoffs to make the World Series because nobody is invincible. The most important thing for the Cubs will be for Carlos Zambrano to pitch well. When he does, he's unhittable, but when he's off, the Cubs are down 7-0 before they know it. In the series with Arizona, the Cubs have an advantage with their offense. Arizona is the only team in the playoffs without a .300 hitter, so they get by on pitching and defense.

One interesting strategy difference is that the Cubs will go with only three starters, opting to work Jason Marquis out of the bullpen. Arizona will use four starters, beginning with Cy Young candidate Brandon Webb. If the series goes five, he'll pitch that last game.

My pick is the Cubs in four. In fact, if it goes five, the Cubs are in trouble.

In the other series, I'm picking Philly in four. I think Colorado will have run out of gas just getting here.

In the AL, I'm rooting the Angels and Indians because I'm sick of the Yankees and Red Sox. You would think those were the only two teams in baseball.

I suppose if I have to pick objectively, I'd take Cleveland in four and Boston in three.

No comments: