Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Ramblings

  • I see that the Cubs have fallen into third place in the division, a game behind Houston, which is really more a function of the Astros getting hot than the Cubs playing bad. Kerry Wood is back on the DL with shoulder problems. Surgery is being put off for now, and if he comes back this year, he's going to the bullpen to minimize potential problems.

    Corey Patterson is at Iowa and at last report, barely hitting his own weight. I think the Cubs are trying to trade him, but he might be too damaged to unload right now.

  • It’s taken a while, but it looks like White Sox fans finally believe in their team. Or maybe it’s just the good weather. Either way, the Sox have drawn over 30,000 for ten straight games. They’ve had crowds that big 22 times this year, compared with 23 all of last year.

  • FIA decided not to punish any of the teams involved in the Indy fiasco after they threatened to pull out of F1 and start their own race circuit. Michelin is still going to refund tickets for this year's race.

  • I've been working on getting my college football site ready for the season. I did my bowl projections this week and am working on a preview. That probably won't be finished until after the Big Ten media days next week.

  • Since I cover college football, I sometimes receive promotional items about players from schools that are pumping them up for various awards. I've gotten mouse pads, pads of paper, magnetic schedules, etc for different players in the past, but last week, I received an unusual item. The University of Memphis sent me a toy NASCAR race car painted with its colors and with pictures of RB DeAngelo Williams. The car had his uniform number (of course), is about six inches long and is pretty heavy. This wasn't cheap.

    It isn't promoting him for any specific award, but things like the Heisman are out for him. About the best award he could receive would be conference player of the year. This seems like overkill by the school, but on the other hand, I just wrote about it, didn't I?
  • No comments: